BBQ Forum  
Go Back   BBQ Forum > Barbecue > Smokers & Cookers

Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
BBQMAN76

looking to buy

i am in the market for a good smoker. one that will be easy to use for the first time smoker user any sugestions would be great. i have been looking at the brinkman brands with the side fire box
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
cajun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have have a Hondo offset smoker I use chorcoal in to get it started and when the meat is about half way through I put in chunks of firewood hickory or oak or pecan but be careful it will over power with smoke and give it a bitter taste. I was reading about the Webber WSM (webber smokey mountain) it uses a water pan and it is getting great reviews...maybe this will help....
cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
BBQMAN76

thanks for the info
Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Twisted Ribs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can not go wrong with building a ugly drum smoker. This pic. is one that I am building now. Im in the process of burning out this drum.
Twisted Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
BBQMAN76

that sounds like a good idea thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Alex
Administrator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twisted Ribs, where did you get the plans for that smoker?
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
stuhaynes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMAN76 View Post
i am in the market for a good smoker. one that will be easy to use for the first time smoker user any sugestions would be great. i have been looking at the brinkman brands with the side fire box
Thanks for welcoming us to your site.

As I said in my introduction we now live full time on the boat we bought in 2001. I have a 40 year interest in camping and the outdoor life in general. In both boating and camping, space is at a premium. When you've sold most of your goods and chattels to move aboard you begin to better understand the old boating phrase 'everything should have two uses'.

I love BBQ, and always have. Over the years I've owned quite a few and continued to enjoy BBQ near the boat, weather permitting. The boating lot are a very friendly bunch and BBQ must be one of the easiest ways of making new friends.

Quite some time ago now I met a guy on a campsite that was using a Cobb and got talking to him. The 'two uses' aspect of boating came to mind and I bought one some weeks later. The galley on our boat is only three feet wide and so cooking space is quite limited. The addition of the Cobb gave us the capabilities of an oven, grill, BBQ, fryer and yes (to get back to your post), a smoker. Now don't get me wrong, I personally don't use the smoker, but people I know do so very successfully. It's the shear versatility that I love.

I make my living from selling camping equipment and by article writing. I hope no-one minds but below is a link to one of my published articles that describes some of the Cobbs capabilities.

Cobb grill article
stuhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
corkyque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coker Smokers

I have a custom built smoker, and grill built by IFACS welding in Chillicothe
Ohio, second year, have full service catering -foodservice license in state of
ohio, we have been booked every weekend since mid june, and booked through labor day, some weekend we have two to three events, or parties
corkyque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
bbqer90

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
hi BBQman76

First of all, do you prefer charcoal more than wood?. I have a Brinkmann smoking pit that I bought at home depot. I works great and allows you different options. It will get hot quick and hold a decent smoke if your slow cooking. It has an offset box that can accommodate a roast or brisket with charcoal only but I prefer to build a decent wood fire in it and put meat almost in the middle as it seems to be the right spot for cooking. Good luck with your purchase, I will gladly help anyway I can.

Brian
bbqer90 is offline   Reply With Quote