BBQ Forum  
Go Back   BBQ Forum > Barbecue > Recipes > Side Dishes

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Reko

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Salsa

Figure we can share some salsa recipes here. I've tinkered around with mine quite a bit, and it also depends on what I have available at the time, but here is the gist of it:

1 can whole tomatoes or tomato sauce
4 jalapenos
1 medium sweet onion
0-4 serrano peppers (these are hot, use with caution, I usually stick with 2)
any other peppers, generally sweet, that I may have lying around
2 medium to large tomatillos

salt
pepper
crushed red pepper
honey
I don't measure the "spices" I just toss them in there by eye.

Any other seasonings you may wish to add. People at my work love this and refuse to let other people in my group bring in chips and salsa for our food days. Guess that means something! It generally comes out fairly hot, with a delayed kick, depending on the peppers used. If you don't use any extra peppers other than the jalapenos and serrano peppers, it starts off sweet then kicks you in the mouth later. Kind of a fun trick.

I boil the peppers and onion for 10 minutes or so to bring out the flavor, rinse and chop the tomatillos, sans skin, and mix it all in a blender to the desired consistency. If I feel like it needs something, then I'll add it. If not, then I'll just leave it be!

A word of caution - if you add a bunch of oregano... it comes out tasting like pizza sauce. They didn't care too much for that one at work haha!

the more and different peppers you use, the more intricate the flavors. These are the kinds my grocery store generally has, but sometimes I'll go down to the farmers/open air market in a pretty ethnic area in the city and get tons of random stuff for dirt cheap and make some gnarly sauces, rubs, dips, etc. I'll probably hit them up this weekend and load up on spices. They started selling "scoops" for a buck. A scoop being about 1 cup to 2 depending on how much you mound on the top. They probably had about 20-30 different ethnic seasonings, and supposedly more on the weekends, so I'll report back my findings in case anyone new to KC pops up on here.
Reko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Alex
Administrator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds good. I'll give it a try. I have a good basic recipe I came up with years ago. I'll post it.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Reko

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This sounds good. I'll give it a try. I have a good basic recipe I came up with years ago. I'll post it.
I would be interested.

We had a Mexican just move in with us. I'm hoping to pick up some ideas from him.
Reko is offline   Reply With Quote