BBQ Forum  
Go Back   BBQ Forum > Barbecue > Recipes > Chili Recipes

Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
bigsnaketex

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Tex's Chili

Here is my chili recipe. . . .

This recipe has been honed over many years of cooking in a very large dutch oven over a fire.

INGREDIENTS:

5 lbs of chuck roast - chopped
32oz crushed tomatoes
32 oz diced tomatoes
1 or 2 cans - rotel tomatoes (depends on how much heat you like)
4 large onions - diced
5 bell peppers - diced
1/2 bunch celery - diced
5 carrots - diced
1 head of garlic - minced
12 large Hatch green chili's - roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
Jalepeno's / Serrano / Habenero (to taste) - diced
1 cup chili powder
1/2 cup cumin
1/2 cup smoked paprika
3oz ground oregano
2 tbsp. salt
3 tbsp. black pepper
Cayenne Pepper to taste
1/4 cup sugar
5 Hershey chocolate bars

DIRECTIONS:

-Brown the meat AFTER you cube it in lard if at all possible.
(Do the meat in batches so as not to crowd the pot - it's best to brown the meat on all sides as much as possible - that is where the flavor lives!)

-Sauté all the chopped veggies at the same time (except the green chili's which should be roasted separately and added at the end of the entire process so keep their integrity)

- Now add the meat to the veggies and add all of your tomatoes at this oint and bring it up to temperature (do not boil, chili should be simmered only!)

-Once everything is up to temperature add your spices one at a time and mix thoroughly. (lumps of spices is not cool on a spoonful of chili!)

-I let the chili cook for a few hours and get to the consistency I like. I do not cook it until the meat falls apart though, I prefer the meat to still have it's shape but be very tender. (This is the time to finalize the salt content of the chili - be careful!)

-At the very end, when all is well and just about right, add your chocolate bars and stir in until they are melted and blended. (DO USE THE CHOCOLATE as it rounds out the taste of the chili and is truly the secret ingredient!).

-Last thing will be to fold in the roasted green chili's.

SERVING:

I like to serve min with a nice dollop of sour cream, chopped green onions, very finely chopped red onions and cheddar cheese! (This is also the time for hot sauce if you need a little bump!!)

This makes a large batch. . . .so of course, you can certainly cut the recipe to satisfy your own capacity needs!!

Enjoy!
bigsnaketex is offline   Reply With Quote